As my friend and co-creator, I hope you'll comment on these fledgling poems. They hatch out daily on Twitter @everydaypoet and migrate here.



Sunday, December 6, 2009

Scenes & Dreams

* * *


091206

HOW SUN BEAMS

In summertime
the day is long;
in wintertime
it's dusk and dawn.


SNOW MAN

Santa gives gifts,
but what does he get?

-Cookies and milk.
-Snowy, cold, wet.


091205

THERE IS A SEASON

Up around the corner from the
de-horned buck head lying centered
in the road this morning
is another deer head
lying centered in the road.

This is a residential area.

I imagine the message might be:
"Behold my prey, my mastery!"

I imagine the message might be:
"My kind will out-survive your kind."

I imagine the message might be:
"Boo! Ha-ha ha-ha-ha!"

Last week the herd at dawn
spooked when crossing the road,
skittering back and forth.

Vehicles stopped and lingered.

I imagine the message might be:
"Such wildness! Such beauty—
so vulnerable to me!"


091204

JUDICIAL RECUSAL

I don’t know why
you do the way you do;
your actions make no sense.
There’s no way to judge you
not knowing what you’ve been through
or what you’re up against.


091203

GRATITUDE LIST

Happy for happiness,
earned or unearned.

Glad for life lessons,
learned or not learned.

Grateful for friendship,
now and to be.

Thankful for moments
you share with me.


091202

UNSTRINGING THE BOW

Maybe it's a healthy sign
(one of life’s benign designs)
to follow work and weeping
with calm and over-sleeping.


091201

APPOINTED ROUNDS (for Jarrod)

I will be there. I'm a giver.
Come rain or sleet, I deliver.
Snow or no-snow,
I won’t be a no-show!


SLATED FOR A CLEAN SLATE

Prepare us, we said
to the much older couple.
What do we have in store;
what's likely to happen?

Well, she offered,
he used to forget appointments,
so I learned to remind him.
But now he forgets; then I forget;
and after that it's nice because
we both forget we forgot.
Later, when something reminds us,
we start over fresh.
We're old, but every day is new.


SUCH STUFF AS DREAMS

Emma is running upside down on the bed.
Both paws are twitching and,
under that fluffy tail, so are her feet.

I ran in my own dream last night,
one in which a cat was euthanized.

Supposedly, every dream-character
is really an aspect of the dreamer.
In the case of last night, that would
have me be very sad, angry, and dead.

I’ve heard this too—it works
to pose a question before sleeping
and expect an answer via the night’s dream.
Tonight I may ask about. . .

Well, that was quick!
But catnaps are supposed to be,
aren’t they, Emma?


091130

CHOICE

What is your wish,
asked genie of me.
Do you want to be good?
Or wealthy? Or free?

I have my wish!
I choose to be me,
trusting that me
is a good thing to be.


091129

WATCHING
THE GAME

quiet dim low
my light

i am angling for death
come on in
buddy
put your feet up
have a beer


091128

VISION OF BEAUTY

Query:
Online, your icon is a symbol
and your picture is an avatar.
Why don’t you use a photo?
Are you hiding something?
Are you ugly?

Response:
I look just like Audrey Hepburn
did in the movies.

Aside:
I open my eyes and take in
the scene.


* * *

No comments: